Thursday 24 July 2014

Summer Cooking Recipe: Fresh Raspberry & Almond Cake

Summer Cooking Recipe: Fresh Raspberry & Almond Cake

Hey everyone,

So I am sure this doesn't apply to everyone but I absolutely love cooking & baking. Not only do I find it really fun but I just find that it relaxes me, it really is a great hobby to take on board. So of course in Summer there are a lot of recipes that involve a lot of fruit which means.. colour! I adore food that is appealing and pretty to the eye, because not only does it seem more delicious it just catches peoples eye when a dish is full of vibrant colours. You know what they say.. the more colours in a meal the healthier it is. That saying may not apply to this recipe though but everyone deserves a treat from time to time. I came across this recipe recently in Sainsbury's and really wanted to try it out. Oh boy aren't I glad that I did. This cake is so yummy and so gorgeous to look at. 

Serves 8, Prep 20 mins, Cooking 35 mins

Ingredients: 110g unsalted English butter by Sainsbury’s, softened, plus extra for greasing
  1. 120g Fairtrade caster sugar by Sainsbury’s
  2. 3 medium British free-range eggs by Sainsbury’s, beaten
  3. 50g British self-raising flour by Sainsbury’s
  4. 80g ground almonds by Sainsbury’s
  5. 2 x 150g punnets fresh raspberries by Sainsbury’s
  6. 60g Fairtrade smooth white chocolate by Sainsbury’s, broken up into small pieces
  7. 150ml British double cream by Sainsbury’s
  8. 30g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
  9. 30g toasted flaked almonds by Sainsbury’s

And here is how my cake turned out! I was pretty proud if I am honest because I wouldn't call a 'cook'. Meaning I should practise more than I actually do. I think this cake would be perfect for a Summer garden party, BBQ, Birthday or any special occasion. Or perhaps like me if you just have a sweet tooth and fancied putting yourself up to the challenge. I actually found this cake really fun to make and it was relatively straight forward. 

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C,fan 160°C, gas 4. Grease and line an 18cm round cake tin.
  2. Put the butter and caster sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream together using a hand-held electric whisk until light and fluffy. Gradually add the beaten eggs, a little at a time, until completely incorporated.
  3. Sift the flour into the bowl and gently fold in, along with the ground almonds and 1 punnet of raspberries. Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
  4. Turn the cake out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
  5. Meanwhile, make the white chocolate cream: put the chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on medium for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through, until melted. Transfer to a large bowl, then add the cream and the icing sugar. Using a hand-held electric whisk, whip the mixture until smooth and soft peaks form.
  6. Spread the cream on top of the cake, then top with the remaining raspberries and flaked almonds. Dust with icing sugar.
I genuinely thought this cake tasted delicious. The topping is so unique. Instead of just traditional sugar or butter icing it is a mix of double cream and melted white chocolate... HEAVEN! The sweet, refreshing raspberry's go perfectly with the white chocolate and the sponge comes out very fluffy and soft. A 10/10 Summer Recipe! 

You can buy all these ingredients of course from Sainsbury's... Here is the link on there website if you are interested in making this cake: http://inspiration.sainsburys-live-well-for-less.co.uk/recipes/fresh-raspberry-almond-cake/

   If you liked this kind of post and want to see more, something a bit different, then let me know!

                                                                               Ell x



No comments:

Post a Comment